100+ people braved a statewide snowstorm to attend our Opening Day People Power Lobby events on January 8th, the first day of Vermont’s 2019 Legislative Session.
The event began with a welcome from Lt. Governor David Zuckerman and was followed by a panel exploring our People’s Platform in Vermont. The panel was led by Kate Logan, Rights & Democracy’s Director of Programming and Policy, and Maeve McBride from 350 Vermont. Panelists included:
- Amanda Garces with Vermont Coalition for Ethnic and Social Equity in Schools
- Brenda Churchill with Vermont LGBTQ Alliance
- Chloe White with ACLU VT
- Auburn Watersong with Vermont Network Against Domestic and Sexual Violence
- Max Barrows with Green Mountain Self-Advocates
- Sarah Launderville with Vermont Coalition For Disability Rights
- Abel Luna and Kike Balcazar with Migrant Justice
- Lauren Hierl with Vermont Conservation Voters
- Colin Robinson with Vermont NEA
The whole morning was live streamed and can be watched here with the panel starting at about the 1 hour and 13 minute mark in the video.
In the afternoon we held the New Voices, Bold Solutions press conference showcasing the many young activists who are working for change. You can also see the video of the livestream here.
Seven Days – Rallies Abound on Vermont Legislature’s Opening Day
Bennington Banner – Progressive groups gather at opening of legislative session