Like many Vermonters, Rights & Democracy members are not willing to sit idly by while we watch a seat on the US Supreme Court go to the highest bidder and without any true public hearing and vetting of Judge Brett Kavanaugh's extensive record. What is he hiding?
We have members who are putting their bodies on the line and getting arrested in an effort to disrupt, delay, and hopefully stop these proceedings.
The time is now to step up and Stop Kavanaugh Now!
If you can't be down in DC to protest in person, you can still help by taking these three actions:
1. Sign this petition in support of Sen. Patrick Leahy's fight to stop Kavanaugh's appointment (and share it widely).
2. Check out WhipTheVote.org and make sure our Senators know that we want them to vote against Kavanaugh. Find Senators who are on the fence or are voting yes and see if you have friends in those states and get them to call!
3. Donate to Ady Barkan's Be A Hero PAC, which has raised nearly $500,000 for the future opponent of Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine). Donate $20.20 to the PAC and send Collins a message—vote against Kavanaugh, or you will be replaced when you're up for election.
In addition, call Senator Leahy's office and let him know you want him to stand strong and #StopKavanaughNow:
Washington, DC: (202) 224-4242
Burlington: (802) 863-2525
Montpelier: (802) 229-0569
Dear Senator Leahy,
“The vetting of Judge Kavanaugh is the most incomplete, most partisan, and least transparent for any Supreme Court nominee I have ever seen.”
We applaud these powerful words you spoke on the Senate floor in calling out the dangerous path we’re taking in the rushed appointment of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. You have raised serious doubts about Kavanaugh's truthfulness to the American people in his previous appointments to the bench, and it's clear that he will steer the court further toward an activist Court that will ignore legal precedent and common sense.
Brett Kavanaugh is wrong for the Supreme Court, wrong for our country, and wrong for Vermont.
We know that Pres. Donald Trump nominated Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court for several reasons:
- Kavanaugh has written that a sitting President should never be able to be indicted, and can fire whoever is investigating him whenever he wants.
- Kavanaugh has ruled against the ACA and gave a speech criticizing Justice Roberts’ rationale for upholding it.
- Trump has said he would only nominate judges who are anti-abortion and would overturn Roe v. Wade. Kavanaugh gave a speech just last year praising the dissent in Roe v. Wade.
We applaud your firm stance in opposition to Kavanaugh’s appointment during these hearings and we want you to know that Vermonters have your back in this fight.
We call on you to reach out to other Senators - on both sides of the aisle - and urge them to reject a nominee whose background and legal work is being kept secret from the public and members of the committee. This is no way to nominate a judge to a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court.
We urge you to do everything in your power to stop Kavanaugh’s appointment to the Supreme Court. And, know that Vermonters are standing with you every step of the way in this fight.