JOB POSTING: Operations Manager
The primary duties of the Operations Manager (OM) include managing Rights & Democracy’s financial and internal systems. This position is heavily detail-oriented. It will adhere to policies established by the Boards of Directors as well as to the organization’s goals and objectives working closely with the Director of Programming and Policy, Organizing Director and Communications Director and reporting to the the Executive Director relative to ongoing projects and to the Boards of Directors relative to finance and internal policies. The OP will also annually report to the Board of Directors with any suggestions as to internal policies that should be established or changed in order to pass an independent audit, should one come up
We have a 501c3 (Rights & Democracy Education Fund), a 501c4 (Rights & Democracy Project), and relationships with Political Action Committees (one now, more within the next month or two). We are a bi-state organization. This means that there are many moving parts and many relationships among the entities to manage. The OM must be personable, flexible, and highly organized, with excellent computer, writing, accounting, administrative, and communication skills.
We are experiencing a period of intense growth and change and are in search of a creative person with strong problem solving skills. Below are a list of some of the areas of work that we would like the OM to tackle, in concert with staff, board, and active volunteers:
- Improve organizational systems and oversee the maintenance of files, both physical and electronic, to ensure the ready availability and safeguarding of information.
- Assure that needed supplies are on hand and that office equipment is operating.
- Work with the bookkeeper and accountant to ensure that financial reports and filings are prepared on a monthly basis, as well as respond to information requests from the Executive Director and Board on an as-needed basis.
- Coordinate annual audit preparations in collaboration with the Executive Director, bookkeeper and contracted accountant.
- Coordinate check requests, deposits, employee reimbursements, accounts receivable, invoice, and accounts payable processes, as well as prepaid debit cards used by staff.
- Manage billing between entities in accordance with the shared expenses agreement.
- Coordinate mail handling and bank deposits.
- Manage Quickbooks and work with our bookkeeper and office manager to assure vendors are paid on time and fund transfers are accurately tracked.
- Keep apprised of new, emerging data and finance systems that anticipate organizational needs as we grow.
Fundraising and Membership:
- Help staff to track grant reporting and application deadlines.
- Assist the Executive Director with the organizational budget and year end reports to funders, as well as track Grant deliverables and submit this information to the Board.
- Ensure proper tracking and ongoing reports for regular accounting of member/donor relationship management, fundraising benchmarks, and mailing lists.
- Leading HR functions for the organization, such as on-boarding new staff, creating human resource systems and trainings as needed, and making sure personnel forms are completed, updated as needed, and securely filed.
- Primary lead on responding to any HR complaints or concerns.
- Managing tracking of employee leave requests.
- Managing employee benefits
- Refine timekeeping processes to accommodate the relationship between the entities.
- Processing staff timesheets and administer payroll on a bi-weekly basis, including expense and mileage reimbursements.
Tech and Database duties:
- Working with the Communications Director to establish and oversee best practices for data input, cyber security, and management by staff organizers and volunteers.
- Booking travel and lodging for leaders in order to ensure efficient use of resources.
- Working with our Communications Director to manage EveryAction and support Organizers use of VAN and MiniVan
- Translating to the IT vendor the nature of a staff member’s tech problem and help the staff member figure out what needs to be done to fix it.
- Maintain tech inventory and accurately plan and budget for emergent and planned tech needs.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in computerized composition, data development, accounting or business administration preferred.
- Experience in non-profit organizations with multiple entities strongly preferred.
- Must work well with persons of varied sexual preference, racial, ethnic, cultural, gender identity, socioeconomic backgrounds, and with individuals who are differently-abled.
- Must have a demonstrated commitment to social justice and/or community service through previous employment and/or volunteer experience.
- Database or data warehouse experience preferred
- Must have experience in developing, directing and managing multiple projects and implementing goals for building and maintaining internal systems.
- Must have strong administrative skills, be highly organized, motivated and remain flexible under pressure. Attention to detail and ability to organize and set priorities a must.
- Must have strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills; ability to overcome technical and non-technical challenges.
- Must have excellent typing/computer skills, including high proficiency in Windows, Quickbooks Pro and Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Excel.
- Must be extremely analytical and detailed-oriented, and maintain a high level of data integrity.
- It is critical that all applicants have the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, and challenge people to take risks in order to make change.
HOURS: Preferably full time hours; part-time possible. Minimum availability of 25 hours per week, Monday-Thursday.
SALARY: In range of $50K -$65K a year full-time depending on experience. .
BENEFITS: Competitive salary package and benefits.
LOCATION: Position is based in Burlington, Vermont but occasional travel in Vermont and New Hampshire can be reasonably expected.
TO APPLY: Send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest to email@example.com. Please include the words “Operations Manager” in the subject of your email.
Equal Opportunity: Rights & Democracy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQIA people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rights & Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Rights & Democracy does not discriminate against or tolerate harassment of any employee because of race, color, gender identity, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, any other basis prohibited by law, or protected activity under the anti-discrimination statutes.