The Rights and Democracy (RAD) is a movement for positive change in Vermont. We are a membership organization of working and low-income families in Vermont. We build people power to win justice for our communities. We believe rights and democracy are won when people come together to make their voice heard. We are building a strong organization to improve the policies that affect us and our communities
About the Position:
Rights and Democracy is seeking a half or full-time Director of Communications to work closely with other team members on earned media and other communications work on a wide range of economic, racial and immigrant justice campaigns, and to help us to build an effective communications department and program.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5-10 years of relevant experience with communications including supervision, developing and placing stories in national and local earned media, be deeply committed to fostering democratic participation and developing spokespeople from diverse constituencies, and have excellent writing and editing skills. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload.
The Director of Communications is responsible for the following:
- Serving as a key media strategist and practitioner for RAD campaigns for economic and social justice, including proactively developing strategies, op-eds, news releases, relationships with media outlets, and spokespeople;
- Managing communications planning and materials development for multiple competing campaigns;
- Helping to guide RAD’s Development and Communications, helping to design and systematize all aspects of our communications work;
- Drafting and editing communications materials for RAD;
- Helping to develop and drive strategy to establish the organization’s traditional and new media presence;
- Developing strong systems/protocols on each of the above and providing technical assistance to partner organizations to enhance their existing development and communications strategies.
We are seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building, are results-oriented, and have impeccable writing and project management skills. You should have:
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Experience managing multiple projects and ability to supervise staff, consultants, and volunteers;
- Strong writing skills and extensive experience doing communications work including successful and entrepreneurial earned media work; and
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
- Applicants will ideally, though not necessarily, be based in Vermont.
- At least 5-10 years of relevant experience.
Generous salary and benefits package, depending on experience.
To apply: Please email a resume, cover letter and three professional references to email@example.com
RAD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.